Subiaco Oval was first used for football in 1908, but only as the home ground of the Subiaco Football Club. Finals were played on a range of grounds, including Perth Oval, the WACA, Midland Junction and Leederville Oval.
In 1936 Subiaco Oval was established as the headquarters of the WAFL. It set up office and all finals and state games were played at Subiaco Oval thereafter. For the next 30 years very little development occurred at the ground.
There were two relatively small grandstands, a Members Stand on the north-eastern flank and an old Public Stand on the north-western flank.
The rest of the ground comprised of grassy sloping banks, which provided for standing room only when crowds were large.
With spectators standing shoulder to shoulder, several grand finals attracted crowds in excess of 50,000. The record crowd was 52,781 at the 1979 derby grand final between East Fremantle and South Fremantle. East Fremantle became Premiers with a 33 point victory but not before a third quarter brawl which involved almost every player on the field.
The entire southern side of the ground remained standing room until a third development which coincided with the introduction of the Fremantle Football Club into the AFL in 1995. The development provided a large amount of covered seating for the public as well as state of the art corporate facilities.
The fourth and final stage of the major development was completed in 2000. This development provided more covered seating for the public and many more corporate facilities.
In February 2015, the venue become known as “Domain Stadium” under a naming rights deal with the Domain group.